Saturday, March 31, 2007

A Little Paranoid


I'm worrying about the Big One. The big earthquake that is supposed to hit middle America sometime soon (of course, it was supposed to have hit every year for about the last 20 years - which is even scarier because it means it's overdue, right?). I live right on the New Madrid Fault in southeastern Missouri/northeastern Arkansas - right at ground zero so to speak and only 3 miles from the Mississippi River which will most certainly flood (maybe with a tsunami effect?) if we don't drown in the quicksand that our ground is supposed to turn into since our water table is so high (this is reclaimed swampland) and because it is of a consistency called "gumbo."
So I continue to live here worrying about when it will strike, and now with new cats, I worry about them. At least my son is safely away. Folks, I am really paranoid. But the Fault is really there. There's no way my husband is going to move.

7 comments:

mikster said...

If I recall correctly didn't that fault give a bit of a shiver and shake back in the late 80's?

Nick Payne said...

Animals are a lot smarter than we give them credit. One of the ways you can tell if something like an earthquake is coming in a built up area, is if you see a lot of roadkill. Animals are sensitive and pick up on these things before we do.... that is why they leg it.

Your cats will probably know about it before you do and will be well out of there!

regards and blessings

N

clunygrey said...

Yes, there have been some small shivers and shakes, but nothing like what is supposed to happen. This one is supposed to be worse than any California earthquake because of the soil composition here.
And my cats are indoor cats, but I pay close attention when they seem distraught, believe me!
Donnachloe

Anonymous said...

Rationally speaking, you should be more worried every time you climb into a car.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you will luck out and end up with beach front property and fewer neighbors?

Anonymous said...

I understand your concerns... but try not to worry about what may never happen in your lifetime.

I agree with gerald. Life is risk.

Enjoy each day for what it offers.

Anonymous said...

I used to live in California and I always feared the big one. I live in Seattle now...so I don't have that fear.