Sunday, April 09, 2006

Why the Products of the Derriere?


Ugh, the weather here has turned cold again - I hate it. Above is the Springometer: open the powder room window and if a cat stays in it for more than 5 minutes, warm weather is here to stay! I guess it didn't work this way.
I've been surfing the blogosphere, and I have a question: What is it about the nether regions of the body that many bloggers find fascinating?
Now I understand expletives - have been known to use the "f" word (um, okay, lots on occasion) as well as a few others, but I just don't understand crudity for its own sake. For example,
  • Why do people dwell on farting and think that it's so funny? It just doesn't strike me as humorous, but I can't tell you how many blogs have flatulence the subject of multiple posts, not to mention part of their names (i.e. "Blogfart" by the cutest girl).
  • The writer of one entry said that he knew he could marry a girl when he farted loudly and she laughed uncontrollably (not my idea of intimacy).
  • I read a blog by a mom and enjoyed it. I looked over at the sidebar and in the comment she said that the only thing she had done for herself lately is "wipe my own butt."
  • Shit seems to be a very attractive blog subject, too. One blogger went to great lengths to tell us that she was writing the post on a laptop while she was "taking a poop." In fact this was the main point of her entry.
Now let me tell you that I'm a child of the '60's, had my share of fun in the '70's and still like to dance on the coffee table to the latest music after I've had a few.
But I just don't get this obssession with flatulence and bowel movements and I do find it crude and unnecessary. (Ugh, I hate how that sounds, but it's true).
If you came over to my house and farted audibly and talked about your bowel movements incessantly, I probably would never invite you back, and c'mon all of you out there - how many of you would invite the person back?
Is the idea that anything from the nether end of the gastrointestinal tract going to attract people to your blog - that you'll gain readers?
Do you need readers that badly?
Do you need those readers?
By the way, I would have written this post when I was 25, too.

10 comments:

Jaxson said...

I think that, because these things are considered taboo in 'civilized' conversation, people feel a sense of freedom by discussing them in their blog. Online you don't have to follow societal rules if you don't want to, and that can feel really good.

While it may be considered poor taste, in the end I believe blogs are for the author first and foremost, and the reader second. If a person finds it useful to talk about their bowel movements, so be it.

But, then again I can choose blow off their blog and move onto another. :-)

Mark Base said...

I'm with you on this one. I never found the-uncle-with-the-pull-my-finger thing funny either. Even at a young age.
Mind you, I must admit to having had a remote-control fart machine at the office I worked in in London. Childish yes, but it did make for some degree of hilarity (if used sparingly).

Anonymous said...

I so agree.....As I surf thru blogmad I find it boring,a nd just odd. Lets see how cool we are by using crude words as much as possiable. Arg, enough already.
I enjoyed your blog very much though! :)

Anonymous said...

Awwwww! Kitty!!!

animalfamily said...

i just find it interesting all the weird, crazy, sometimes original sometimes mundane things that go through people's minds at any given time. just makes you think that across the world, everyone is really essentially the same.

Mike Hitchen said...

I think there is a tendency among bloggers to think "crude is cool". It is not. It is downright boring and tends to negate what little credibility such bloggers had in the first place.

BTW, love the title of the blog!

Marie said...

Visit my blog! I don't write about stuff like that. . .

Anonymous said...

You know what - you're absolutely right. As with a lot of new ideas (portable media, Internet and now blogs), they were only used by the technoelite. These people were invariably of a higher intellect and didn't *need* to use wording such as this. And it really isn't necessary.

As with most things, the masses have got their hands on it and now anything goes! :-)

Nice blog - everyone loves cats!

Kristie said...

i am torn on this. It doesnt bother me when people talk about bodily functions at all. I do it occasionally, but there is a time and a place for it. And its their personal blog, if they want to write about their poop, then thats what their blog is there for. We dont have to read it, but sometimes, it can be funny!

carrie said...

OK yes I have a foul mouth and am guilty as charged, but not for the title!!!!!!! that actually has nothing to do with "fart" in the sense you're thinking of. it is a play on the term "brainfart" as to say I've drawn a blank or lost my thought. oh and thanks for calling me cute btw. ...if thats me you're talking about. and if not then yeah I've just shot my mouth again haven't I?